Happy 4th of July!
Happy 4th of July Weekend!
Please remember that more pets get lost on July 4th than any other day of the year. Here are 10 tips to ensure that your pets stay safe on this holiday weekend.
1. Ensure that your dogs are wearing up-to-date ID tags (visibly displayed) on their collars at all times.
2. Consider choosing a harness leash instead of your typical dog collar in case they get frightened and try to take off.
3. Don’t leave your dogs unattended (even in your own backyard) because the unusual loud noises may trigger them to try and escape. (Dogs can dig pretty fast!)
4. Have a current photo of your dog(s) on hand in case they do get lost.
5. Be sure to give your dog an opportunity to exercise before leaving them in the house for the day while you attend your holiday festivities.
6. Keep curious dogs away from open flames, fireworks, charcoal and sparklers. (Even if you think your dog is going to be OK, the loud holiday noises can spook even the most well trained pups.)
7. If you plan on bringing your dog with you for the celebrations, be sure to keep lots of dog treats on hand in order to prevent them from being fed table food at the BBQ.
8. If you decide to leave your dog at home while you go out for the day, leave your pups with a frozen treat. I like freezing some Fage greek yogurt inside of a Kong so that they are entertained for a while. It also serves as a distraction from all of the loud noises going on outside.
9. If you already know that your dog is afraid of loud noises, it might be a good idea to leave some gentle music playing inside the house or keep the TV on to soothe them when they inevitably do hear the loud fireworks.
10. Last but certainly not least, don’t forget to give your pups lots of extra love today! They will need it.